Friday, March 6, 2009

Diabetes and life and stuff

Having diabetes is a pain in the ass. I didn't ask for it, and unlike your typical Type 2 diabetic, there wasn't anything I knew of at the time to prevent it from happening. Some people are diagnosed before age 1, which I cannot fathom, but nonetheless, we just live on and do what we have to do. If you want to read about a guy that has lived with diabetes since he was too young to talk, check this out... http://philsoutherland.blogspot.com/ . And read on about Team Type 1 at www.teamtype1.org All that being said, I don't need special treatment, because all kinds of people get things far worse that Type 1 diabetes. And despite all the bullshit I need to do everyday to remain healthy, it becomes about as tedious as brushing your teeth. Literally, its life, and if you want to live there is no choice. All that being said, life isn't a never ending struggle, and nothing prevents me from finding the beauty in it. Check out this article, and piles of others that have probably been written on the topic. http://www.velonews.com/article/89008/training-with-type-1-diabetic-athletes-has-taught-coach I have huge piles of respect for Rick Crawford and his coaching, but diabetes isn't a controller of activities and life, it is something you control. Its frustrating at times, but so what? As someone who hikes, bikes, skis, works and lives while controlling diabetes, it has never been a topic of conversation for me unless someone else brings it up. I am so appreciative of Team Type 1, and what they do, but I don't tolerate the idea of diabetic cyclists using the concept of a diabetic team as a crutch or excuse (I don't think this is the case with TT1). There is no reason that diabetic cyclists/athletes can't succeed in any situation (cheers Jay Cutler). The only reason to advertise is to let children dealing with the same bullshit understand what is possible... everything is possible. So to those that have inspired me, Nate from camp, Wade from the bar last week, Phil, Joe, Kerry (http://xcwhite.blogspot.com/), piles of others... keep on living, and brush your teeth daily.

1 comment:

  1. Dan, you have Type 2 diabetes? Isn't that quite rare for a young, healthy person?

    ReplyDelete