Monday, February 23, 2009

Here we go!

Hey all, blog #1 here. As I attempt a late entry into instant thought sharing with the world, I would like to set a premise for MY BLOG. I will undoubtedly have rants and raves beyond select topics, but, I would like to keep MY BLOG somewhat nutrition/sports nutrition/healthy living related. This is the field I have found myself in, no, the field I have chosen, so might as well spread the Gospel of Dan (Daniel was already taken by some really old book). Here goes...

So, Medicare is on the minds of many politicians. And it should be, as it eats up insane amounts of the federal and state budgets. We are a nation of over-medicated lazy folk, and if you are dead set on remaining this way, so be it. But, as long as the government is spending piles of cash, and Barack mentioned that seeing dietitians should be a part of medicare, so as to not spend $30,000 getting your foot cut off in later years, I propose something different. A program similar to WIC (women, infants, and children) for those that need serious lifestyle coaching on their way to healthier living. I want to see a credential assigned and related to such a program. And I want to see locations that provide free consultations to those that want help in learning healthy living. Not just nutrition or exercise, but LIVING. There should be no set curriculum for such a program, because everyone is unique, has different needs, and has their own tastes, motivations, and incentives. This shouldn't be some Jenny Craig, lose 30 pounds in 30 days, bullshit. It definitely isn't about Mypyramid, one size fits all, waste of money, public health campaigns. Healthy living involves just that, healthy living in all aspects of life. There is no reason that this should be undesireable to anyone. It isn't about rice cakes and treadmills, its feeling good about yourself and your health. I don't want to pay for your leg amputation, your cholesterol medication, or your hospital stays. Let's get serious about preventative health, America. So, Barack, give me a cabinet post, and I'll head this deal up. 5 required visits for everyone before being approved for medicare. I see huge signs saying 'Healthy Living sold here... Price: FREE'.

I think blogging is going to be great for stress reduction... Nothing but smiles here now!

2 comments:

  1. You have some pretty fantastic ideas! I feel the same way about personal finances and there needing to be public programs and education.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Preaching to the choir, but it is insane that those things aren't taught in high school or later. Investing and finance should be required.

    ReplyDelete